Search This Blog

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Free

1 Corinthians 9

"...I have emptied out my cup, so that You can fill it up, now I'm free, I just want to be, more available to You. Lord, I'm available to You, my storage is empty, and I am available to You. Paul's declaration in 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 reminds me of this song. It is a song of prayer, emptying of self, asking for the in-filling of the Holy Spirit, and making a commitment to the Lord to be available. In His Power, in His Strength, by His Leading and Direction.
Paul is telling the Corinthians that he belongs to " no man", no person owns him, he is free. And he states that because he is free [free in Christ] he chooses to make himself "a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible" (vs 19)!! He is compelled by the love of Christ, and what Christ did for him, to go and do likewise! To empty himself out, to choose not to exercise all his freedoms, but to exercise them in way a that he 'becomes all things to all people!" He is determined to be used by the Lord with anyone and everyone God give him to...to the weak he shares his weakness, to those under the law - he puts himself under the law, to those not having the law - he becomes like one not having the (Jewish) law.

Paul is determined to put away anything that may be seen as dividing, separating, putting walls between him and others....because of Christ. This is why I thought of the song from which the above excerpt comes. The picture is of one who is SOLD OUT. Giving up all rights for the purpose of Christ. Emptying self of self with all it's particulars. Asking the Holy Spirit to fill, and be available. No conditions. No criteria. No qualifications or preferences. "I will not do that, I will not go there, that isn't my style, I couldn't possibly be in the midst of that...." No. Paul said "whatever", meaning "whatever You say Lord, wherever You lead Lord...in another portion of Scripture, Paul says, "I've been crucified with Christ, it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and delivered Himself up for me" (Galatians 2:20).

Are you in a place that is perhaps not your preference? I've been there. Are you doing something that you'd rather not be doing? I've done that. Are you among a people not of your choosing? I've lived that. Have you found yourself in a position that you've said or thought, "I will never!" I've been there too.

Chances are any one of us may be experiencing the above right now! Or you have. Or you will. It is called life on this earth. What is your response? Are you bucking it? I have done that before. God help me. God help you. Today, will you join me in asking the Lord to help you at whatever point you are at with this?

" Lord, I empty myself, Lord would you help me to empty myself? Lord, please fill me with Yourself. Help me like Paul, to be so compelled by You that I will be willing and be all things to all people that some might be won. I'm available Lord, Help me Lord to wanna' be available, help me to be available. Use me Lord - to show someone the way... Thank You Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment