Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Causing grief out of Love

2 Corinthians 2:1-4
"For I wrote you out of great distress and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to grieve you but to let you know the depth of my love for you" (vs 4).

The Apostle Paul is expressing his reasoning for his actions - writing to the Corinthian group/body of believers first before meeting/visiting them. He said that he wanted to write to them about the actions and decisions of some (as we read in 1 Corinthians) along with how to address folks who were acting in ways unbecoming Believers - sinning. He wrote that he was confident that the body would correct/act rightly in the face of the issues, so that when he came to visit, things would be as they should.

What strikes me about his approach is what he said in verse 4. His reason for writing before visiting came from his "depth of love" for the people - his brothers and sisters in Christ. So deep was his love, that his confrontation to them, because of their sin, brought tremendous grief for him - to the point of experiencing 'great distress and anguish of heart and with many tears."

As I think about the confrontations and challenges I have experienced, the approach someone uses with me makes all the difference. If I sense that someone who challenges me does so out of his/her love for me, I am able to receive the challenge much more readily. Conversely, when I've challenged someone out of love - love for the person and love for Christ - the interaction has a much different tone. Even if the person isn't able//doesn't receive the challenge with 'thanks so much for caring' (LOL - most of the time this doesn't happen...but it does sometimes!), I still am able to have peace in the midst of heartache. In the midst of heartache because I know what I'm saying causes grief, but a grief that has (the potential) for greater good. But if confrontation is done out of...jealous, envy, superiority, inferiority, strife, hatred, and selfishness...then the grief brought about is grief without good.

How about you? Have you experienced being challenged out of love and out of - not love? Have you challenged out of love and not out of love? Isn't there a difference?

"Lord, please forgive us for the times we are critical, point fingers, challenge others out of selfishness rather than love. Lord, fill us with your Spirit in such a way that Your Love is manifested in our hearts - a heart of love and compassion - that can 'speak the truth in love' - and bring about Your good in the lives of others. Help us to follow the example of the Apostle Paul. And let those around us, those hearing the challenge, hear more loudly the Love. Thank You Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment