Search This Blog

Thursday, December 16, 2010

God's Grace in Our Weakness

2 Corinthians 2:12-17

In the first few verses of this section the Apostle Paul writes that God opened a door for him to preach in Troas. God made a way, went before him, to Troas, preparing the way for Paul to minister. Paul then says that because his brother (in the Lord) Titus wasn't there....he left! Paul knew he had an open door from the Lord, but he chose not to enter...this is surprising to me. When I think of Paul, I don't think about the fact that he made mistakes like this - knowing God opened a door but not going through it!

I have done that before. My guess is that you have done so as well. But, I just don't think of Paul as doing so! I wonder why the Lord included this of Paul's recording, in Scripture. Maybe to show us that even the Apostle Paul made (what I consider) serious missteps...it's not just me who does so. The recording of this, among other points, speaks to God's grace toward us. I get really disturbed at myself when I see that God has spoken to me, opened a door, given me guidance and direction - and I don't follow. I kick myself. I ask God to forgive me. I determine to do better; to follow the Lord's leading; to not only recognize answer to prayer but to be the answer, as God allows.

But God. I'm glad to know that the chief Apostle Paul had times of (deliberately!) not going through doors God opens. Not that I rejoice that he did so, but that God forgave him, that God still used him, and perhaps used him in spite of himself. Because God perhaps takes weakness (Paul's and mine...and yours) to perfect His power through (2 Corinthian 12:9) ...revealing Paul's, my, your need to depend on God more. Always. Forever.

"Lord, thank You for revealing in Your Word the weakness of even the greatest of Yours, so that I, we can see that You work through our weakness too. Thank You that You redeem even our worst mistakes/sin for Your Glory and Good. You are so gracious, kind, and good. Your Love endures forever. The gates of hell will not prevail against You, Your will, and Your way. Thank You Lord that Paul and we are part of Your Story. We love You Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment