Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Treasure Within

2 Corinthians 4:7-12

"But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that this all-surpassing power is from God, and not ourselves. We are hard-pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed but not in despair; persecuted but not abandoned; struck down but not destroyed" (vs 7,8,9).

Paul continues to highlight, vigorously, how any power that is revealed in and through him is not in and of himself. It is from God! It is God! Paul is just like a jar of clay. He has been created, molded and shaped by God. It is the deposit of the Holy Spirit within him, the jar of clay, the treasure of Christ Himself, that dwells in Paul which displays His power and might! THIS is why Paul is not crushed, despaired, abandoned, or destroyed.

And so it is with you and me. You and I are "jars of clay." We did not create ourselves - God created us. We have not molded and shaped ourselves (the idea of a 'self-made man' is hogwash....!). God has molded and shaped us. God is molding and shaping and keeping us. As believers and followers of Christ, we also with Paul, have the treasure - Christ Himself - living inside of us by the Holy Spirit! So, when the pressures of this earthly life are pressing in on us from all sides...we are not crushed. So, when we are perplexed in our thinking because of the situations swirling on around us, we are not in despair. So, when we are being persecuted either through the actions of others or in our reputations, we are not abandoned [by God]. And when we receive blow after blow as we walk day to day, we are not destroyed.

For in Christ the world, flesh, and/or devil can not CRUSH, DESPAIR, cause God to ABANDON, or DESTROY us!! Listen, without the Holy Spirit in us - we depend on others, situations, and ourselves. And when others, situations, and ourselves are depended upon - then they can also crush, despair, abandon, and destroy us.

Case in point - in seasons past, I was part of a small band of brothers and sisters. We lived life together in Christ. We broke bread together. We served one another. We laughed together. We cried together. We experienced being hard-pressed, perplexed, persecuted, and struck-down together. And then something happened. The world, flesh, and devil made an entrance. I found myself being the object of being hard-pressed, perplexed, persecuted and struck-down by accusations from one of our band! It was painful. It brought much grief. And it caused separation. BUT GOD.
Another case in point - in seasons past, I was engaged to be married. And then something happened. I was told I 'wasn't the one God had' for my fiancee. I was loved but not 'the one.' I found myself being hard-pressed, perplexed, and struck-down by the one with whom I was to become one! It was painful. It brought much grief. And it caused separation. BUT GOD.
Another case in point - in seasons past, I was ministering in a place of need - receiving acolades and excellent evaluative reviews on job performance. And then something happened. I was fired. I found myself being the object of lies and accusations through the same ones who were giving me acolades and excellent job performance reviews. It was painful. It brought much grief. And it caused separation. BUT GOD.

Because the Treasure within me could not be touched - because I was not dependent on the band, the fiancee, or the boss, but on the One within me - I was not destroyed or crushed or despaired or abandoned (by God). Had the band, the fiancee or the boss been my sustenance, my life-support, the air that I breath - I most certainly would have been destroyed. While each was certainly an integral part of my life in those seasons, each was not The Treasure. For that I am most thankful; for as important as they were, they were not The Treasure within.

How about you? Have you had experiences that drew blows? Perhaps you are experiencing that now. I pray that you see the treasure within you is indeed The Treasure. And that you call out God, allowing the power of the Holy Spirit to sustain you. Mold you. Shape you. Transform you. "Let it be Lord, You in our lives, let it be. Thank You Lord."

1 comment: