Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Recognizing Grace

Galatians 2

"James, Peter, and John, those reputed pillars, gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship when they recognized the grace given to me. They agreed that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the Jews" (vs 9).

Paul continued to make a defense for the Gospel he preached - this time more for his message rather than for his right to preach it (as to the Corinthians). He defended the message because the Judizers - Jews Christians (professed) - sought to hold Gentiles (non-jews) to being circumcised and to following the Law, in order to follow Christ. In other words, the Judizers taught and lived a message of Jesus plus the Law, in order to be saved. This is the background to the happenings in Galatia to which Paul addressed.

But God. The verse that leaped out on the page of my heart was, "...they recognized the grace given to me." My immediate thought was, "do people recognize the grace of Jesus given to me, working through me? In the way I walk In the way I talk. In the decisions I make?

There are several powerful realities in this little phrase, "they recognized the grace given to me." First, grace is a gift from God. What is grace? It is an approach that gives me what I didn't earn and don't deserve. Primarily grace is highlighted as the activity through which salvation comes. The gift of salvation is by grace through faith. By grace - salvation is a gift that I didn't earn, work for, or deserve - nor could I have even if I wanted to! And what does a gift cost the one who receives it? Nothing. Even though it can cost the giver much; the Giver of Salvation counted the cost, death, and gave His Life.

The second reality that jumps out to me in this little phrase, "they recognized the grace given to me" - real grace is recognized by others that see me, hear me, live with me, and watch me. One way to affirm the grace which I claim to have received is that others can see it! They experience grace through me! As in Paul's case, through his teaching and preaching, through his wisdom and decisions - in the way that he carried himself. Do others recognize God's grace in my life, in your life?

Thirdly, notice the response to the recognition of God's grace in Paul. The Apostles - the pillars of 1st Century Christianity - James, Peter, and John embraced Paul (and Barnabas). They offered them "the right hand of fellowship." They accepted Paul and Barnabas as one, as one of them!

It was God's grace in and through Paul and Barnabas that caused the Body of Christ, in this case Peter, James, and John, to receive Paul and Barnabas. What causes you and I to accept others as close allies - as brothers and sisters? Who do we look to for direction, wisdom, and acceptance?

If it is anything other than the recognition of God's grace working in and through them - we ought to take note. The world gives recognition, acceptance, and accolades to those who display wealth, prominence, prosperity, success, and prestige. For what do you and I want to be recognized?

"Lord thank You for the gift of grace - thank You for salvation and Your continued grace toward me and those reading this - grace that without it we wouldn't be able to stand. I pray God that as I receive Your grace, it would be extend through me to all those I encounter. Lord let my, let our speech, decisions, teaching, and relationships be overrun with Your Grace - recognized as grace given by You. Thank You Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment