Search This Blog

Friday, February 4, 2011

To God be the Glory!

Dear Ones,
This song at this address came to my mind as I was reading and meditating on today's Scripture. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jhBK6bnyXg&feature=related ;

2 Corinthians 10:7-18

"But, 'Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.' For it is not the one who commends oneself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends"(17,18).

Paul continues to defend his right to write and speak the way that he does to and among the Corinthian believers. He recounts to the nay-sayers - the false teachers and those opposed to him (jealous of him?) - that not only does he have authority as God's man, but he was the one who introduced the Gospel to the Corinthians!

He also points out that those who are basically saying they are better than he in their speech - they are comparing themselves with one another and with him. He was in good company if his oratory was not eloquent - like Moses and Jeremiah! And God used them (too) mightily!

It is interesting isn't it, that when we compare ourselves with others, there is always those who are better than us in areas, worse than us, or equal! Paul calls his opponents (and God, us!) to compare ourselves with the True Standard, God...if we are going to compare ourselves at all!

And so, what happens when we compare ourselves to Jesus? Our eyes will be on the One who has called us, who has gifted us, who works in and through us...so - if I boast then, of whom and what do I boast?

And from whom do I seek praise? Do I boast about myself? Do I seek praise from others? If so, I will most often be disappointed and...the praise from others or myself is a dead-end. It lasts as long as the moment. Have you found that to be true? I have.

Accolades usually are forgotten quickly..."remember when" doesn't last very long. BUT GOD. When I seek the Lord and recognize any good that I have and give originates in God to and through me...then "To God Be the Glory!" We can rejoice ourselves in seeing what the Lord does in and through us because we see that it isn't in and of ourselves. We can rejoice when we see the good in and through others as well, because we see it comes from God! No boasting here.

Wait for the Lord to commend/praise/affirm you...and when the Lord does - whether or not others follow, will not matter because God's commendation does not fade - it is for now and eternity!

"Lord, all that I am, all that we are; all that I am not, all that we are not; everything of the past, present, and future - is all of You and to You Lord! Forgive me, forgive us, when we seek praise of another - even though Lord it is 'natural' and we need affirmation - help us Lord to first seek our affirmation in and from You. Remind us Lord when we forget that "it is all about You"...and when it is all about You then I and we can not help but to be filled with boasting and pride and fulfillment....because boasting is given to You and Your Glory! Thank You Lord!"

No comments:

Post a Comment