Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Freedom to Love not Indulge

Dear Ones,
It has been a few weeks since I've written to you via Food for Life! I apologize and ask your forgiveness for not alerting you first that I wouldn't be writing for a bit - as I usually do when I can't write. I have been away and working on transitioning into some new ministry/work responsibilities - prayers are welcomed and appreciated :) In this, there was a wonderful surprise gift...my dear friends gave birth (early) to their 5th child...I was able to be there to welcome Tessa Spring into this world!!! What a delight!
I pray that you all experience the everyday blessings and joy of Jesus that we often overlook or take for granted.
You are a joy to me!,
Robin

Food for Life:
Galatians 5:1-15

"You, brothers [and sisters], were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. The entire law is summed up in a single command: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' IF you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other" (vs 13-15).

It always amazes me how relevant Paul's (and the other Biblical writers) instructions/admonitions/exhortations are for me, for you, today! Sometimes I think that today's culture as a whole, and the culture of Christ Followers (that is you and me) is so different. Often I think that today's society is far more ungodly than in Biblical times. Not so. In the interest of keeping these Food for Life readings short, I encourage you to do some historical readings (or in reading the Bible, stop and think about the state of the culture as described) and you will see the ungodly nature of their day!

Paul tells the Galatians, as God speaks through him to us - you are free in Christ, so don't put rules and regulations on yourselves and others as a way to be saved or to keep your salvation! You can't add anything to the grace through faith which you have received from Christ on the cross!

At the same time, use your freedom for good, Godly benefit; not for giving in to temptation, sin, and ungodly practices - as it relates to yourself or others! Paul restates Jesus' Words that pointedly tell his followers, "love your neighbor/one another as yourself" and that fulfills, completes, is more than anyone could ever do in trying to keep the law of the Old Testament!

He emphasizes this reality by highlighting to them that if they continue to NOT love one another (biting and devouring each other!!) they will surely destroy one another... in what ways do you see this happening today? How is NOT loving one another, destroying us within the Body of Christ? And as a result, deterring others from becoming part of the Body of Christ?

"Lord, forgive me, forgive us for the ways we do not show love for one another - through our thoughts, words, and actions or inactions. Show each of us individually ways that we are not loving and could love better. Show us God ways that we can contribute to our brothers and sisters, one another, as a whole to love our neighbor as ourselves. Even as we love You with all of our hearts, minds, souls, and strength. Thank You Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment