Search This Blog

Monday, May 3, 2010

Finishing the Race

Leviticus 21,22
Acts 20

Food for Life:

Leviticus 21, 22
More instructions for the priests to live out the holy position - the 'set apart' position - in which God has placed them!
Acts 20
"I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me - the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace" (20:23,24). Wow. We are reminded of the persecution and outright death threats Paul faced at every turn, every city he was journeying with Jesus to, in order to share "the gospel of God's grace." Paul's 'however' here is like BUT GOD - this 'however' changes everything that came before it!

Last night I was tossing and turning as I thought about some ministry issues that were concerning to me. The sssues aren't (don't seem to be...) related to being persecuted for Christ's sake. They are mundane and really inconsequential compared to the matters Paul faced and the dynamics of his relationships. And yet, I am reminded by the Lord even this morning about what is important, what is priority as it concerns God's Kingdom. Even as I cried out to the Lord from Psalm 142,143, I am told by the Lord that He cares about all things pertaining to our lives. And that our lives in Him are about displaying His Glory, for our good, and the good of others.

So I can pour my heart out to the Lord with 'whatever concerns me today' because I am God's concern - you can pour out your heart today to the Lord about 'whatever concerns you today because you are God's concern. And then, the Lord will bring us to another place in Him, one that I believe Paul speaks of...being determined to 'know nothing except Jesus Christ and Him crucified' (1 Corinthians 2:2) and considering his 'life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me.'

"Oh God, I pray today that I, like Paul - we, like Paul - would consider my/our life on this earth nothing compared to finishing the journey/race and 'good works that You created for me/us to walk in' (Ephesians 2:10) and that I,we would complete that work - even as You promise to 'complete the good work You have begun in us' (Philippians 1:6). Thank You Lord! Thank You that You are faithful! Thank You that You see the beginning from the end and that all things are present to You, You are outside of this human finite time and yet You work in and through us in this time! Your love is better than life Lord (Ps 63)!"

1 comment:

  1. This whole devotion, this Word of God and all that you said today, speak directly to my heart. Thank you for the clarity, the words and the reminders.

    ReplyDelete