Search This Blog

Monday, January 3, 2011

Do Not Lose Heart

2 Corinthians 4:13-18

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day" (vs. 16).

The Apostle Paul is so amazing...he would say it is not him who is amazing, but the Treasure that dwells within him! And so, you and I can be amazing too, because we have the same Treasure, as believers, living within us! Paul was one of the most persecuted and trial-laden Christians in history. He describes his trials and persecutions as a servant of Christ in 2 Corinthians 11:25 - "I have ...been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was ship wrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches."

This brother is the one who writes, "Therefore do not lose heart." If anyone had reason to lose heart, it was Paul! Sometimes we (wrongly) assume that the writers of Scripture write what they do because somehow it was easier in life for them and/or easier for them to walk with the Lord...so not true. Paul not only had severe physical persecutions, but he also experienced difficult emotional stress as he thought about the well-being of the church folks! If all this wasn't enough, he describes some ailment that was so severe, he asked the Lord to take it away three times. The Lord did not. Paul then writes that it was actually a messenger of Satan, given (by God!) in order to keep him humble because he had received also from the Lord such great revelations (2 Corinthians 12:7-10). In this too, he proclaims thanksgiving because he states that the weaker he is, the stronger he is - because God perfects His power in (human) weakness!

Paul doesn't lose heart, because he is being renewed inside, by the Holy Spirit, by Christ. His body may be wasting away, from all the trials and persecutions of this life, but he is being built up within...and it is this part of him that will live forever in eternity. The outward part of him will actually be changed into a glorified body in eternity.

Paul's perspective is what makes the difference between loosing heart, giving up, and throwing in the towel. Quiting. He looks first at God and eternity. He looks at the end - in order to endure the present. He turns over all this hardship to Christ, who lives within him - the weaker he is, the stronger Christ becomes within him. So it is with you and I.

Today there are a few situations that need to be addressed and I feel soooooooo adequate to do so. Not only that, I really don't want to deal with them because, from a human perspective, I am at 'the mercy' of people who work in institutions...who are not concerned about the impact of the circumstances on me, but are concerned about their business. More importantly, today, I am also concerned for some loved ones that are in great difficulty, also 'out of my control.' And so, I could easily lose heart.

But God, through Paul, encourages me to not lose heart. To not give in to my weakness. To not set my sight on the earthly reality of situations. God calls me to put these things in perspective. In light of eternity. In light of the Treasure who lives within me. In light of the One who sits on the Throne and on the throne of my heart. The One who holds kings and nations in His hand.

Today, you and I can see our problems and cares as "light and momentary troubles that are gaining for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So, let us fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal" (vs17,18).

No comments:

Post a Comment