Search This Blog

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Godly vs. Worldy Sorrow

2 Corinthians 7:2-16

"Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation [and life!] and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death" ( vs 10, [ ]added by me). This is a profound Truth that each one of us has gone through or has had the opportunity to experience. There are two realities that strike me in what Paul is writing in this chapter. The first has to do with speaking (or writing) the Truth in Love. The second has to do with the difference between 'being sorry' because of an offense that is against God, others, and ourselves, and 'being sorry' because of the earthly effects of an offense and our pride being pricked in 'getting caught' in our sin.

Paul loved these Corinthian folk! It is so evident in his description of the process of his rebuke of them in the sin that was committed (look back at chapter 2 for a refresher...and it seems there was a third letter Paul wrote which is lost to us and not recorded in Scripture), his description of how he feels about them, and the actions he has taken toward them and on behalf of them. Paul spoke the Truth in Love. The folks heard him because it was first evident that Paul loved them and that he was rebuking them "out of" his love for them; not for any other reason.

Doesn't that make a difference to you? I know it does for me. Someone who loves me can say the same thing to me that someone who doesn't (seem) to love me - my response is very different to the one who loves me, than the one who doesn't....even if what is being said is true. (By God's grace, we can receive the truth by whoever speaks it and it will be for our good...but that is for another writing)!

The other striking reality is the motivation behind my response matters in the outcome of the sorrowfulness or repentance! Inside, if my thinking is focused on the destructive or negative effects of my action in getting caught - or my pride being exposed that I acted wrongly or sinfully, then the result is death! The result is just a dead-end..wallowing in the earthly components with no life-giving change!

BUT GOD - if the motivation behind my responsive sorrow is the recognition that I've caused destruction in hurting others, myself, and acted against God - the lover of my soul(!), then my repentance will usher in healing, growth, and good fruit...life!

Have you experienced the difference in these two motivations and outcomes? I have. When I am sorrowful that my hopes have been dashed because I got 'caught', then I end up repeating the same scenerio! The dressing might be different, but the thread is the same! When my sorrow is because of my relationship with God, others, and myself - the hurt and pain caused, then I experience God's (and other's) grace, forgiveness, and strength within to not go down that path again! The inside has changed, which was the cause of the action in the first place!

"Lord, even as I reflect on this part of Paul's story with the Corinthian believers, I know that there is something here that You want to reveal to me. I know that there is something You want to reveal to all reading this reflection. God, help us to open our hearts, spirits, minds to receive You in this Scripture - Godly sorrow leads to repentance and life; earthly sorrow leads to death. Show us Your Life Lord, and any areas where each of us need to see this difference. Thanks for loving us Lord. We love You."

No comments:

Post a Comment