Search This Blog

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Live By Faith, Not By Sight

2 Corinthians 5:6-10

"We live by faith, not by sight" (vs. 7).

Do I? Do you? Live by faith, trusting God and not by what our eyes see and circumstances indicate?

Paul continues to focus our reading of the Word on living in the present but living for eternity - eternity which has been set in our hearts by the Holy Spirit, guaranteed by the Same. Paul's confidence rests in the reality of Christ in him, renewing him inwardly day by day through the hardships and joys of this earthly life....which are being stored up for him glory to come! Therefore, Paul writes, he lives by faith and not by sight. And it is the same with us.

This morning I was riveted by the Lord, even before reading and reflecting on this portion of Scripture. Riveted because while others have assessed/observed me to be faithful and to live as one who has [great faith], I heard from the Lord that in certain areas, lack of living by faith has kept me from stepping out in ways that God has called me to! You see, some choices and decisions I've made would appear to be made by faith and not sight - yet, within myself, they have been made by subconsciously thinking that I have a level of competence to do so. That I could see a level of 'safety' - thus there has been a calculated risk factor.

It is disheartening to me that this is so. I also feel some thankfulness that God has shown me this; and excitement...and some fear (!) to consider what this might mean now that God has shown me this ...again. I ask the Lord to please forgive me, because He has shown me this before. I pray this time I don't allow the fear to overcome faith...

You see, my living by faith looks different from yours. God has positioned, gifted, and planned for each of us different walks. So, what you may do with competence either because of how God has gifted you, you've been trained, educated, and encouraged to go forth in - I have not, and vice versa. You may look at me and say, 'wow, wish I had that faith' and I look at you saying, 'wow, wish I had that faith.' Yet, in our heart of hearts, as revealed by God, we know. Faith is a gift given to us by God as well. You and I have different measures of faith. Scripture bears out the reality that our faith increases as we exercise, step out in, the measure of faith God gives. I ask God to forgive me too, for not exercising fully the faith He has given me so that it increases. When you and I act in faith it glorifies the Giver of Faith. We glorify God by acting in faith..not so much in competence - competence that is also God given but we tend to trust in it instead of God.

How about you? Do you see anyways in which you have acted more in calculated risk and competence rather than faith? It is not always easy to discern. For faith is not devoid of exercising gifts, competence, knowledge, understanding, and counting the cost. For example, it would not be faith for me to conduct brain surgery...it would be foolish. For I'm not equipped to do so. But, it would be faith to embark on developing a new ministry of Formational Counseling or another similar area for which I have been equipped.

"Lord, thank You for how You speak to us sometimes so clearly that it is deafening. Thank You that You call us closer and closer to You, to live by faith and not sight. Really, until we are absent from this earthly body, You call us to greater and greater faith. We don't arrive until Glory. I ask for my brothers and sisters, and myself, that we would continue to exercise the faith You have given us, that You will be glorified, it will be for one another's good, and for our own. We love You Lord. Thanks for loving us!"



No comments:

Post a Comment