Search This Blog

Thursday, November 4, 2010

But Have No Love

1 Corinthians 13:1-3
"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing."

Wow...basically the Apostle Paul is telling us that we could have all kinds of gifts/talents from the Holy Spirit, we could do all kinds of good works empowered by the Holy Spirit - but unless we have a heart of love, unless we carry out these great feats with a heart of love - then it not only amounts to nothing - but it is quite irritating (like listening to a gong or clanging...) - worth nothing, and in fact I am nothing....

I think this is enough to meditate on for now! Next time we will turn to the rest of the passage that describes exactly what Love looks like....

"Lord please forgive me (us) for the times that I minister/help/take action that is good, but without a spirit of love, compassion, and kindness - without the 'best interests' of the other in my heart. Lord, I (we) need You to fill me (us) with Your unconditional love - I (we) can't muster it up myself (ourselves) - You have to do that within. I (we) need Your help in receiving, continually the Love You have for me (us) so that I (we) can give Love to others. The measure of Love I (we) am/are able to receive from You, is the measure I (we) can give to others. Thank You Lord that You are able. Thank You for giving me (us) the desire to do/act all things out of Love. And not to just love others that love me (us), because that is not love, that is selfish motivation. But to love because You first loved me (us) and gave Yourself up for me (us). Thank You Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment