Search This Blog

Friday, November 5, 2010

Real Love

1 Corinthians 13:4-7

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

Paul continues to describe what Love really looks like - which easily helps us discover how far the distance is between real love, unconditional love - and love as defined and acted out by the world today. The people of Paul's day must also have had the wrong understanding of love, even as we do today in our society.

So the question is, "How am I doing in the 'real love' department?" How does the way I actively display love reflect the descriptives in Paul's declaration? Well....I have a long way to go to love. I need the Holy Spirit to continually empower me to love. As I grow in Christ, I will reflect, more and more, the way of Love. Without which, nothing else really matters.... How about you?

As I read and meditate on these verses, some really stick out to me...Love is patient - this is probably one of the most difficult for me...Love isn't self-seeking....this is another one - loving simply because God is Love, not an issue of being loved in return or what I will receive from the one I'm loving... How about you? Which aspect(s) of Love in these verses seem to be the biggest challenge for you?

"Lord, please forgive me for my times of impatience; for not laying aside 'myself' in loving others. God, I cannot Love apart from receiving Your Love and without the power of the Holy Spirit's continued transformation - Help me to love like You Lord....that You will be glorified, others will experience Your Love, and for my own good. Thank You Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment